The Lanikai neighborhood is a little gem that is located in Kailua. The Lanikai Loop is a 3 mile route with “beachy” atmosphere that can be found nowhere else on Oahu.
Kailua – Hawaii – USA
DISTANCE, ELEVATION & ROUTE
INFO ABOUT THIS ROUTE
- the loop has one short hill right at the beginning and then 3 short ones toward the end of the run. But for the most part it is a flat route.
- there is not too much traffic in the loop because it is a residential neighborhood with one way traffic both into and out of the loop.
- there is a bike lane around the loop, where cyclists and runners share the road.
- there is a park in the middle of the loop that has a nice cold water fountain if you are in need
- there are plenty of spaces to park at Kailua Beach Park or near the boat ramp. The park has an outside shower, bathrooms, and water fountains.
- the run starts and finishes at Kailua Beach Park.
MY FAVORITE WORKOUT ON THIS ROUTE
I like to do a long progressive run on this loop. I run the loop three times. First loop to warm up, second loop at a tempo pace, and the last loop at a 10k pace. Then cool down 1 mile. Total workout is 10 miles.
SHARING A FEW TIPS
- Kailua Beach Park gets busy after 10am on the weekends, so it is best to get there early morning or weekdays before 4pm.
- Avoid driving into Lanikai Loop on holidays and weekends between ~12 noon – 5pm as traffic can back up through the entire loop and you could find yourself stuck in your car for hours.
- Lanikai Juice is one of my favorite places to refuel after my run. They have açai bowls, fresh juices, smoothies and delicious healthy snacks.
photos by: Scott Naguwa
some dreams are worth sharing…